NEW DELHI, April 12 (Xinhua) -- An 8-month-old Indian kid was infected with polio recently although he had been given six doses of vaccinations in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, local Hindi daily Hindustan said on Sunday.
The kid, Jagpal, has been infected in his left foot with P1 strain of polio virus, considered the most dangerous and capable of spreading very rapidly in the body, the newspaper quoted World health Organization official Dinesh Kumar as saying.
So far, there was no report on whether the vaccine was faulty or how he could have contracted the disease even after repeated doses, said the report.
Local health authorities have decided to set up an additional health camp in Surajpur, where the case was discovered, to give emergency vaccinations for the children in the region, said the report.
Source: China View